Re: st: Re: hausman test after mlogit - negative chi-square

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: hausman test after mlogit - negative chi-square
Date   Wed, 22 Mar 2006 03:07:50 -0000 (GMT)

Marilyn Ibara wrote:

> I estimated a Multinominal logit model with 7 choices.  I
> have 17 independent variables.  I specified mlogtest after I
> ran the mlogit command.

It would have been worth mentioning the _full_ command (I suspect) you
used to get the post-estimation results shown in your post: -mlogtest,
all-.

> I am not sure about my results.  Does anyone know how it is
> possible to get a negative Chi-square for the hausman test
> for IIA as I did in my results?  Also, how are the degrees
> of freedom calculated, it appears that I should have 17 and
> not what is reported.

This question is answered by Long and Freese (2006: 244-5) in the second
edition of their excellent textbook, cited below my signature.
Essentially, this is very common, and it is often evidence that the
independence of irrelevant alternatives (IIA) has _not_ been violated.
They also suggest a good tip to confirm your results here: choose a
different base category and run the same -mlogtest- command.

> Furthermore, my results of the hausman test differ from the
> small-hsiao test, they contradict each other, I read online
> this is common, does anyone know how one determines which
> one is appropriate?

Long and Freese (2006: 243), quoting Monte Carlo research conducted by
Cheng and Long (2005), report that neither the Hausman-McFadden (HM) nor
the Small-Hsiao (SH) test is especially useful for assessing violations of
IIA. This is largely because both have poor size properties even with some
kinds of data, even N > 1000 in the case of HM but also sometimes for SH
when N > 500. The best advice they give is only to use -mlogit- when you
can _clearly_ distinguish between the outcome categories in your dataset.
Quite frankly, I couldn't agree more.

In sum, buy Long and Freese!

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(044)7903 397793
Politics              |e: [email protected]
Newcastle University  |http://www.ncl.ac.uk/geps