Re: st: ivreset

From   "Arne Risa Hole" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ivreset
Date   Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:02:44 +0000

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for the clarifications. The rescaling does have an
impact on the test statistic, however; this can be seen from using
Austin's code and comparing the results with and without the line:

replace yhat = (yhat-r(min))/(r(max)-r(min))

So even when the correct "optimal" forecast of yhat is used
(yhat=X-hat*beta-hat), rescaling the forecast affects the result. This
is not a problem in the case of -ovtest-, however, since the Reset
test statistic is invariant to the rescaling in the OLS case.

Sorry for going on about this, but it seems to me that since the two
statistics differ the correct statistic is the one without the
rescaling of the (yhat=X-hat*beta-hat) forecast (even though this may
introduce numerical precision problems in some cases).

Cheers,
Arne