st: combining two variables into one with half-yearly date format

From   Jennifer Delaney <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: combining two variables into one with half-yearly date format
Date   Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:15:58 -0800

I have two time variables in my dataset - one for year and one for semester.
Both of these variables are numeric with Year containing four-digit year
values ranging from 1990 to 2005 and Semester is a 0 1 variable for fall
and spring.  The dataset is structured such that for each id every year has
two semesters.  I would like to combine the Year and Semester variables into
one time variable to allow me to work with the dataset as a panel.
Ultimately I hope to to tsset the dataset once I have the new variable.
How do I recode (or replace) the Year and Semester variables to create one
variable that is formated in the half-yearly date format?  As an end result
I would like to have one variable that reads 1990h1 for spring term 1990 and
1990h2 for fall term 1990, etc.

What I currently have:

ID  Year  Semester
1   1990	 F