RE: st: creating unique identifier values

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: creating unique identifier values
Date   Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:26:34 -0000

I don't know where this idea came from.

In statistics and in Stata, as in the rest
of life, sometimes we change the question or drift
into something else. I don't think there is
anything in the FAQ that proscribes or inhibits
that.

There is a lot of advice in the FAQ about how to
post answerable questions, because posting questions
on Statalist that no-one is able or willing to answer
is the main source of inefficiency on this list,
and does nobody any good -- least of all the poster.
This can look stern and strict to newcomers, but
it's really in everyone's best interests.

But there's no rule about fun or spontaneity.

And thanks for the thanks,

Suzy

> Thank you all for the coding information! I appreciate it immensely.

[...]