RE: st: fixed effects with clustering when the number of levels of variable to be absorbed exceeds number of clusters

Subject   RE: st: fixed effects with clustering when the number of levels of variable to be absorbed exceeds number of clusters
Date   Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:19:49 -0000

Daniel,

What you need to be aware of is that the asymptotics justifying the
cluster-robust estimator requires the number of clusters to go off to
infinity.  I don't think Austin's comment is quite right, at least in
the context you've cited it.  The number of fixed effects can be much
bigger than the number of clusters, and that won't by itself cause a
problem - after all, the fixed effects are not actually being estimated.
What *will* cause problems is if you have very few clusters, esp. if
compared to the number of parameters that you *are* estimating.  In your
example, you want to cluster by state.  50 is not very far on the way to
infinity, but maybe it's enough for your purposes.  But if you also have
lots of parameters that you want to test, then you will start running
into serious problems (nb: the rank of the cluster-robust var-cov matrix
is equal to the number of clusters minus the number of estimated
parameters).

Hope this helps.

--Mark