Re: st: counting number of children in a household

Subject   Re: st: counting number of children in a household
Date   Wed, 1 Mar 2006 01:05:02 -0500

Yours was not an inappropriate intrusion, and your recommendation to
read the original post is a good one--you were able to point out my
mistake! I was assuming incorrectly that children would be defined as
"age<18" --apparently not the case in Mexico, as is evident on
re-reading the original post.  So we are both guilty of ignoring the
right condition to assign 1 to a dummy variable kid.

I maintain the original solution was the most transparent in form,
though Michael Blasnik <[email protected]> has a faster
approach, I think. A solution from first principles that is faster
should be preferred IMHO:

. bys ent mun numviv numhog: gen hhid=_n==1 if !mi(ent, mun, numviv, numhog)
. replace hhid=sum(hhid)  if !mi(ent, mun, numviv, numhog)
. bysort hhid: gen n_childr=sum(age<19)
. by hhid: replace n_childr=n_childr[_N]

I think I shall not get back to work--it's 1am here.