Re: st: a question about making a tabel using STATA

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: a question about making a tabel using STATA
Date   Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:13:54 +0800

On 2/26/06, Jian Zhang <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear STATA users,
>
> I have a question about making a table using STATA.  I couldn't figure out
> how to make it. Hope that you could help me.
>
> The table that I need has the following format:
>
>                 group1  group2  group3
> variabel 1
> variabel 2
> variabel 3
>
> The celles are filled with variable means for each group and for each
> varialbe. For example, the first cell (row 1 and column 1) is the mean of
> variable 1 for group 1.
>
> I know that I can use command table to make the following table:
>
> table group, by(mean variable1 mean variable2 mean variable3)
>
>         variable1       variable2       variable3
> group1
> group2
> group3
>

> Since I have so many variables and groups, it would take too much time to
> convert the format of the secon table to that of the first table
> manually. I wonder if there is a shortcut way in which I could directly
> generate the first table?

You could transpose your data first using the -xpose- command.  See
-man xpose- for full details on how to transpose your data.

> A related question is that: is there an option in command table or in
> other commands that we could automatically indicate the statistical
> signifance of the difference between groups for same variables on the
> tables? I looked through the help file for command table and did not find
> such options.  Do I need to use command ttest for each group and for each
> variable and then manually indicate the statistical significance on the table?

No, table does not support such tests, you need to perform the tests
manually and then tabulate the results.

Depending on what tests you are performing you may find -parmest- or
-estout- useful.  To find out more on these commands type...

. ssc describe parmest

or
. ssc describe estout

Neil
--
"Religion is the work of the Devil" - Anon

Email - [email protected] / [email protected]

Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/
Blog - http://slack---line.blogspot.com/
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/slackline/