Re: st: Looping through a variable list

Subject   Re: st: Looping through a variable list
Date   Sat, 25 Feb 2006 00:00:58 -0500

At 11:30 PM 2/24/2006, [email protected] wrote:
I would like to loop my estimations through an increasing number of
variables, but I am having difficulty undating my varlist.

For example, suppose there were four variable (A B C D) and I wish to
estimate x on y where x is one of the four sets: "A", "A B", "A B C", and
"A B C D".

tokenize "A B C D"
local i = 1
local x = ""
while i<=4 {
local x = `x'+``i''
regress y `x'
local i=`i'+1
}
Try this:

tokenize "A B C D"
local i = 1
local x = ""
while `i'<=4 {
local x `x' ``i''
regress y `x'
local i=`i'+1
}

If using Stata 9, you could also use nestreg, e.g.

nestreg: regress y A B C D

This would have the advantage of analyzing the same cases throughout in case some vars have missing data. And, you would get tests comparing the models.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/