st: RE: RE: graph bar: frequencies as a label

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: graph bar: frequencies as a label
Date   Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:34:09 -0000

Ah! Yes indeed, that's different.

A principle often mentioned on this list, and somehow I feel a
Stata Journal tip coming on for SJ 6(2) 2006, is that when
the way ahead with -graph bar- is blocked, you get out of that
and roll your sleeves up for a second try with -twoway bar-.
Typically some preliminary spadework is needed with -gen-
and -egen-.

So,

sysuse auto
egen meanprice = mean(price), by(headroom)
egen tag = tag(headroom)
egen perc = sum(1), by(headroom)
count if headroom < .
replace perc = 100 * perc  / r(N)
gen percent = string(perc, "%5.2f")

twoway bar meanprice headroom if tag, barw(0.25) ||
	scatter meanprice headroom if tag, ms(none) mla(percent) mlabpos(12) legend(off)

Esther Kessler