st: ivreg with dummies vs. xtivreg, fe

From   Subramaniam Ramanarayanan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ivreg with dummies vs. xtivreg, fe
Date   Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:22:38 -0600

Hi,

I am working on a dataset where the unit of observation is a patient in a particular year. For each patient, I observe the physician operating on the patient, and the hospital the patient is treated in. The data does not contain information that identifies patients - I only know the identity of the physician and the hospital. In the example below, doc 1 treats 2 patients in hospital 1 in 1999 and one patient in hospital 3 in 2000.

Row Physician Hospital Year
------- --------------- ------------ --------
1 Doctor 1 Hospital 1 1999
2 Doctor 1 Hospital 1 1999
3 Doctor 2 Hospital 1 1999
4 Doctor 1 Hospital 3 2000
5 Doctor 3 Hospital 2 2000

I would like to run an instrumental variables OLS regression that includes Fixed Effects for physician, hospital and year. Are the following two specifications equivalent?

Spec 1: ivreg depvar (endog var = instrument) yeardummies hospitaldummies physiciandummies

Spec 2: xtivreg depvar (endog var = instrument) yeardummies hospitaldummies, i(physician id) fe

I am not sure if I can use physician id as the "i" variable because the dataset is at the level of a patient, and not at the level of a physician.

I am getting different estimates from these two specifications...and am not sure which is the correct one to use. If one wants to include multiple Fixed Effects in the same regression, then how does one choose the i variable?

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
subbu

Subramaniam Ramanarayanan