st: Hello all in statland

From   Jon Ebeling <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Hello all in statland
Date   Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:30:24 -0800

Can anyone help me with this problem. I'm trying to convert an alpha character to numbers in a stata data base that I have. here is an example.

. tab qes5

do you have any fears riding at night? 1. yes 2. no 8. no answer Freq. Percent Cum.
na 26 24.76 24.76
na 78 74.29 99.05
8 1 0.95 100.00
Total 105 100.00
Notice that I want to replace na with number that are appropriate. I have used "real" before but when I try to use it now, it comes back with an error message.

Here is what I"ve used:

. gen qes5r = real(qes5)
type mismatch
r(109);

I know that the underlying numbers associated with these na's is correct but I can't get them to be listed in the stata output.

. sum qes5

Variable | Obs Mean Std. Dev. Min Max
qes5 | 105 1.809524 .7480132 1 8

Thanks in advance for any help here.