st: file size of graphs: what does it depend on?

From   "Sascha O. Becker" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: file size of graphs: what does it depend on?
Date   Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:06:16 -0800

Dear statalisters,

what does the file size of Stata graphs exactly depend on?

I have "fancy" graphs with just 10 kb, and others that do not seem to be
more fancy, with arrive at more than 500 kb. Obviously, small is
beautiful when it comes to sending (several) graphs around.

How does Stata technically store graphs? I first thought Stata would
so-to-say store the data underlying the graph (at certain grid points)
as part of the *.gph file?
However: I found that e.g. graphs produced with kdensity have much
bigger file sizes than other types of plots in general, INDEPENDENT of
the grid size ( -kdensity,n()- ) ...

So why are some graphs much bigger in file size than others (by factor
50) although they do not seem to be "50 times more complex"?!

Ciao, Sascha

--

Dr. Sascha O. Becker
Visiting Asst. Professor