st: RE: Sample size calculation for dose response

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Sample size calculation for dose response
Date   Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:35:47 -0000

A possible reference might be Newson (2004), which describes a wide
range of power calculations.

In your case, we seem to be attempting to measure ordinal correlation
between a 3-level predictor and a continuous outcome. A possible measure
of overall ordinal trend might be Somers' D, described in Newson (2002).
If you have a pilot study, then it might make sense to use that pilot
study as the basis of the power calculations, in the manner of Example 3
of Newson (2004).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

Newson R. Parameters behind "nonparametric" statistics: Kendall's tau,
Somers' D and median differences. The Stata Journal 2002; 2 (1): 45-64.
Also downloadable from my website at
http://www.kcl-phs.org.uk/rogernewson/.

Newson R. Generalized power calculations for generalized linear models
and more. The Stata Journal 2004; 4(4): 379-401. Also downloadable from
my website at http://www.kcl-phs.org.uk/rogernewson/.

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
POSTAL ADDRESS:
National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London
St Mary's Campus
Norfolk Place
London W2 1PG
STREET ADDRESS:
National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London
47 Praed Street
Paddington
London W1 1NR
TELEPHONE: (+44) 020 7594 0939