RE: st: RE: General linear Model

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: General linear Model
Date   Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:43:13 -0000

I can't say what you need.

Historically the abbreviation -glim- (or more
precisely GLIM) was used for software implementing
generalized l.m.s (sensu Nelder and Wedderburn).

My guess is that -glm- was used in Stata as a
slightly different name precisely to avoid any
inference (implication, too) that -glm- matched
GLIM one-to-one, which it certainly did not.

But if Joe Hilbe is watching he can beat guessing
and tell us why he chose that name.

Ricardo Ovaldia

> Thank you Nick. I new that generalized linear models
> were not what I need it. Using the acronym "GLM" for
> both general and generalized is very confusing. I
> think that maybe -mvreg- is what I really need.

Nick Cox

> > Usually, -regress- or -glm-, except that
> > neither captures absolutely all the
> > functionality that some authors associate
> > with GLM. Note that general linear models
> > and generalised linear models are not
> > the same families.

Ricardo Ovaldia