Re: st: recode min missings

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: recode min missings
Date   Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:54:27 -0600

Miguel Portela ([email protected]) reports
> I am using the command 'recode' combined with 'min' and an 'if'
> condition. When the 'if' condition is not met for at least one
> observation the recoded variable is replaced with missings. The
> following example shows the problem:

Miguel is correct; we have reproduced this bug and found that it
was introduced as an unintended side-effect of the change to -recode-
made in the 12dec2005 ado update (see -help whatsnew- for details
on that change).

We will fix -recode- in the next ado update.

In the meantime, a short-term workaround for Miguel is to rename
'recode.ado' in his Stata UPDATES directory.  Miguel should type

   . which recode

which will report something like

   . which recode
   C:\Program Files\Stata9\ado\updates\r\recode.ado
   *! version 3.5.0  23nov2005

If that is the version number Miguel sees, then he can
rename that file using his operating system from 'recode.ado'
to 'recode.old'.  After that, -which recode- should report the
location of the originally-installed recode.ado, and the
behavior Miguel reported should go away:

   . which recode
   C:\Program Files\Stata9\ado\base\r\recode.ado
   *! version 3.4.8  24may2004

Alan
([email protected])