st: fweight and error code r(1400)

From   Ada Ma <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: fweight and error code r(1400)
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:02:11 +0000

Dear Statalist,

I'm estimating a mincer wage equation:
ln wage = sex + age + agesq ...

The data set I'm using comes with a population weight variable, so I estimate:
reg lnwage sex age agesq [fweight=calwght]

The data set is supposed to be a 1% sample of the working population
in the economy.  The variable "calwght" carries the number of person
each observation is supposed to represents (given their age group,
occupations, etc).  Calwght has 5 digits behind the decimal point and
-fweight- is designed to work with only integers.  So I thought if I
mulitply calwght with 100,000 I can plug the variable right back in
and use it with the -fweight- option.  But my plan doesn't work - I
hit the error code r(1400), which says that I am "estimating a model
with more than 2,147,483,647 effective observations", which isn't
allowed on Stata.

So now I have a few questions:
(1) am I correct in trying to use -fweight if calwght were an integer variable?
(2) should I use -iweight- instead?
(3) or should I take the inverse of the calwght and use it with
-pweight- instead?

Please post any suggestion you can think of.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ada

--