RE: st: A Delicious Experiment

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: A Delicious Experiment
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:35:35 -0000

The crunch in all these cases is who is going
to do the real work? It's not difficult to imagine schemes
that all sorts of users would be interested in
playing with or trying out!

Beyond that, the problem has a statistical flavour
and we should be able to use our expertise to
focus on that. As I understand it, many users
would be interested to know

which postings
	at a level appropriate to my needs
	were highly rated
	by people in my field

but this target population will (I guess) never be the
sampled population. Beyond that, there is
the question of sample size, both in terms
of #people and #evaluations on which anything is based.

A leading Stata person said to me some years ago,
"I don't know how anyone really learns Stata, as it's
far too big to master". Naturally, the problem is now
worse. I really am not clear that adding yet another
resource or thing to monitor is going to help overall.

Maarten buis