Re: st: heckman sample selection ML

From   Robert Duval <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: heckman sample selection ML
Date   Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:05:26 -0500

Which raises then the issue... why adding "+1" to y?... just to be
able to take logs?
then why not adding 3/4 or 1/2 or 1/4 for that matter?

The problem with this solution is that, by picking an arbitrary number
to add, you alter the curvature on your transformed dependent variable
(y+1) in a pretty ad hoc manner.

A more sensible solution woud be to do the log transformation on y
whenever y>0, and deal with the zeroes (now missing) directly in your
econometric method, be it Hecman SS correction, Tobit, or whatever way
you want to deal with censoring.

Robert Duval