Re: st: meta-analysis and ROC

From   Tom Trikalinos <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: meta-analysis and ROC
Date   Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:27:34 +0200

Hi Andrei,

Summary ROC (SROC) is not exactly a meta-analysis of "ROC" curves. It's somehow different.
SROC provides a summary measure of diagnostic performance when you only have sensitivity & specificity values per study. Each study is represented by a pair of sensitivity-specificity values rather than the ROC curve. SROC was devised because often the cutoff points of the diagnostic test variables differ across studies, and in fact SROC is informative only when the cutoff points differ.

If you really want to meta-analyze ROC curves, you can in principle meta-analyze AUC values with an inverse-variance model (you need the AUC variance for this).

Otherwise you might be better off with a meta-analysis of sensitivity and specificity across studies, after selecting the same cutoffs for the patients of each center.

Having all values for all patients, I might opt for different analyses rather than a SROC curve.

For the record there's no module in Stata that does SROC analyses, to my knowledge at least. You could find the SROC manually in Stata, but it seems you don't want this.

tom