st: how to deal with variables wi/attrition

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: how to deal with variables wi/attrition
Date   Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:27:37 -0500

Nirina said

when you say: just leave the 5 out and stata does not
need a balanced panel,
How do I deal with that? should I do as Nick said, "as
missing" but then do I have to do it one by one, which
one is missing and then from that.
For example, Year one; I have 7 obs: and the pid is 1
till 7.
Year two: I have only 4 because 3 did not reply so I
have 1 .3. 5. 7 but if I use the n way of assigning
pid then I will have 123 and then it will not match
the actual missing individual.

If you know somehow that the non-respondents in period 2 are #2, #4, #6, then you know that the remaining individuals are #1, #3, #5, #7. Normally in panel data each record has some sort of person identifier. How are you identifying the missing individuals as #2, #4, #6? However that is accomplished, it should allow you to build a person identifier variable that you can then use in tsset.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: