RE: st: SAS Stata equivalent command

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: SAS Stata equivalent command
Date   Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:09:59 +0000

thank you nick (cox) for your response. it is much appreciated. perhaps it would have helped if i have instead mentioned what i wished to do in its entirety. however part of my liking for stata/statistics is to learn on the job kind of thing and to seek help when things could not move further forward no more in my view (obviously others may disagree with this course of action or the timing of when to seek advice/help).

i am trying to translate SAS procedure to stata but am currently stuck at a juncture prior to the PROC Mixed. the SAS codes can be found on Reitsma JB et. al. Bivariate analysis of sensitivity and specificity produces informative summary measures in diagnostic reviews. J Clin Epidemiol 2005;58:982-990.

the bits i am stuck at (at the moment in any case):

====================================

/*
In the next step we create a special dataset that contains the 44 calculated variances of logit sensitivity and the 44 variances of specificity in each study. Three additional records are created which contain the starting values for the 3 additional variance parameters of the bivariate model: record 1 holds the starting value for the between-study variance in logit sensitivity, record 2 the covariance between logit sensitivity and specificity, and record 3 the between-study variance in logit specificity
*/

data cov;
/* start the file with three starting values for (co)variance parameters of the random effects (zero works well) SAS expects the name est for this variable */
if _n_ eq 1 then do;
est = 0; output; est = 0; output; est = 0; output;
end;

/* followed by the 88 calculated variances of sensitivity and specificity of each study */
set bi_meta;
est = var_logit; output;
keep est;
run;

if someone would be able to tell me what these SAS codes trying to achieve i might be able to do something with stata 8.2 (os wxp pro sp2). i was hoping that by knowing the equivalence of stata PROC Mixed, the data set-up and output, working backward, i might be able to slowly pieced it in stata.

searching stata FAQ's and UCLA fantastic stata repository did not unfortunately help with this particular problem. however, googling did point to previous postings in 2002/2004 by (among others - apologies in case i missed some postings) Joseph Coveney, Ben Dwamena and, Gerben ter Riet concerning bivariate approach. however it bears no resemblance to the SAS codes in the published article nor (to me) can be adopted/adapted to the problem at hand. a look at stata cross-sectional time-series reference manual [XT] for stata 8 did not show an entry on xtmixed but fortunately it is available on-line on stata help page. i could not see though how this can be adapted to PROC Mixed as used in the article but this could well reflect my lack of statistical knowledge and understanding in this area. i am also handicapped by not having previous SAS exposure at all. in light of ATS UCLA Mitchell's document where he suggested the complementary nature of SAS/Stata, learning SAS as another tool for my statistical carpentry could well creep into my new year resolution. for now, i am hoping that on this occasion there will at least be someone in the stata lists who is familiar with SAS/Stata and able to advice/help me.

on that note, thank you again for any forthcoming advice/help. please accept my apology for the somewhat verbose extent of this posting.

regards,
bw

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/