st: Re: help with insheeting data

Subject   st: Re: help with insheeting data
Date   Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:42:19 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Nervedi" <[email protected]>

Hi Statalist!
<snip>>
The problem is that outsheeting it or even outfiling it introduces spaces in
the final file that mess up my dictionary file so that I can't read the 80
character long variable. The only way I can get it to work is by
Stat-transfering the file into *.dat format (ASCII Fixed Width + All program
setting).

Is there anyway I can export from within Stata to ASCII Fixed Width format?
This will automate the process of extracting my variables, instead of having
to manually run Stat Transfer on each time.

thank you,

Al
Try reading the help for outfile (not outsheet), specifically the runtogether option. It often requires a bit of work to put your data in the proper format for using this option (all strings of exactly the length you need), but it is fairly easy to program into a do or ado file.

Michael Blasnik

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/