st: -makematrix-, -sq- updated on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -makematrix-, -sq- updated on SSC
Date   Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:30:17 -0000

Thanks to Kit Baum,

-makematrix- has been updated on SSC. Some
results of Herve Stolowy pointed to a bug,
which was then explained by Alan Riley.
This is now fixed. -makematrix- requires
Stata 8.

As some will have gathered, I have mixed
feelings about -makematrix-. If you want
to produce matrices, it is, long run or
even short run, much better strategy to
learn Stata's matrix language _and_ Mata. But
if that's not yet on your horizon, -makematrix-
may help your problem.

-sq- has also been updated on SSC. This
is an ancient program to take old-style
graphics and change their aspect ratio.
It requires Stata 7 as a minimum -- and
in a strong sense as a maximum too, as
it _only_ works on old-style graphs,
those produced by -gr7- in Stata 8/9 terms.
The _only_ part was not obvious to some users,
so I changed the help file to try to make
this clear.