RE: st: RE: graph bar labels

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: graph bar labels
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:22:14 -0000

Obviously you are a discriminating person
you knows exactly what you want from Stata.
Sooner or later you will have to become
a programmer.

I am not quite clear how your percents
are to be calculated, over all the values
or within each group.

Here is one way for the first case. You know that there are
69 values for which -foreign- and -rep78-
are not missing. You ask for a -catplot-
showing frequency. But you fix the y axis
so that it shows percent. A tool for
doing this is -mylabels- from SSC.

. mylabels 0(10)40, myscale(@ * .69) local(la)
0 "0" 6.9 "10" 13.8 "20" 20.7 "30" 27.6 "40"

. catplot bar rep78 foreign,  blabel(bar, position(outside))   yla(`la') ytitle(percent)

So, for example, the label "40" appears at
where 27.6 would be shown on the frequency
scale, because 40% of 69 is 27.6.