st: Creating the rank of one variable from the distribution of another variable

From   "Joseph McCrary" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Creating the rank of one variable from the distribution of another variable
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:18:28 -0500

How would I go about creating the rank of one variable against the
distribution of another variable? That is, suppose one variable is the
lower bound of a confidence interval (we'll call it LOWER) and the other
is the upper bound of the confidence interval (UPPER). I'd like to see
where each observation of LOWER ranks in the distribution of UPPER and
vice versa. Any searching I've done points me to creating variables that
are ranks of their own distributions.

Thanks.