st: Testing equality of coefficients, linear and quadratic terms

From   Dave Kirk <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Testing equality of coefficients, linear and quadratic terms
Date   Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:15:40 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
I am familiar with the "test" procedure in Stata to
test for equality of coefficients across independent
samples, though have a question about the command. I
would like to test for equality of two coefficients
across samples, one for AGE and one for a square of
the AGE term (call it AGESQUARED). Basically I would
to determine if age curves are similar across samples,
and would appreciate your insights about how to
incorporate the squared term. Which of the following
would be appropriate (if either)?

test AGE1 + AGESQUARED1 = AGE2 + AGESQUARED2

or

test AGE1 + (AGESQUARED1*AGESQUARED1) = AGE2 +
(AGESQUARED2*AGESQUARED2)

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dave

http://mail.yahoo.com