RE: st: Copying data from stata's editor to excel.

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Copying data from stata's editor to excel.
Date   Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:18:44 -0500

989958 in Stata copies properly to Excel for me.

Generally, the data, as presented by the display format in
Stata's editor, is copied to the clipboard and pasted into Excel.

You will lose precision upon copy if your display format in
the Stata editor does not show all of the underlying digits.

This is similarly true when going from Excel to Stata: only
digits displayed by the Excel cell format will be copied to
the clipboard and will be pasted into the Stata editor.

As Nick Cox suggested, this behavior is due to the MS Clipboard
and not to either Excel or Stata.

Tom

> > I am sure this has been already discussed, but how to
> > get exact values when coping data from Stata's editor
> > to Excel?
> > Excel keeps rouding results and I want to avoid that (for example
> > 989958 in stata is rounded to 990000 in excel). When
> applying mata's
> > function varsum in Stata, I get different result on the total with
> > what is given by Excel. Best regards.
> > Amadou.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential, protected by the
attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-
public information. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from
your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this
message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients
is not authorized and may be unlawful.