st: transferring data from SPSS to STATA

From   Alonso S�nchez <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: transferring data from SPSS to STATA
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:06:44 -0500

About a year ago someone on the list posted a message regarding problems
transfering an SPSS data file to a Stata file (version 8) using Stata Transfer.
I now have the same problem with several data files, which have around 1,000
variables (both string and numeric) and over 120,000 cases. I've looked at the
statalist (and my data files) archives, but still can't find a way around the
problem.

The transfer process stops at around the 66,000th case with the message "Invalid
floating point operation." I believe this to be a systematic problem with one or
more of the variables. Has anybody encountered a similar problem and would know
how to find the problem variables?

Thanks in advance,
Alonso