st: RE: Re: filling in gaps

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: filling in gaps
Date   Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:25:27 +0100

Michael has put his finger on the nub
of the matter as usual.

A more long-winded statement can be found at

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Replacing missing values
        2/03    How can I replace missing values with previous or
                following nonmissing values?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/missing.html

In this case, I happened to know that this FAQ existed but
could not remember its URL. So I -search-ed on missing.

Some rummaging in the files also shows that the keywords

datasets sets missing values previous following replace cascade
cascading nonmissing non

would have produced a hit.

A deeper question is how to start trying to find this when
you do not know what exists. The Statalist FAQ
itself recommends the following sources.

===============
Before posting, consider other ways of finding information:

the manual

the online -help- for Stata

-search- can tell you about all built-in Stata commands, all
ado-files published in Stata Technical Bulletins or the Stata
Journal, and all FAQs on the Stata web site, www.stata.com.
-findit- can tell you about not only all of the above, but also
about user-written Stata programs available on the Internet.

your local Stata expert or technical support person

past issues of the Stata Technical Bulletin or Stata Journal, if accessible

the authors of user-written ado-files (who usually have email
addresses, but are not always members of Statalist)

Stata technical support, if it is really a question for them

Michael Blasnik

> replace ID=ID[_n-1] if ID==.

Christopher Berry