RE: st: Version control question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Version control question
Date   Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:58:02 +0100

No doubt. There is a somewhat larger imperative
for users to realise that Stata marches on and
most of its user-programmers march with it. Stay
with your present version by all means, if cash
is tight and it's adequate for your purpose, but
recognise that increasingly you will not be able to use any
extras.

It can be enough of a challenge
getting the code right without back translating
to earlier versions. I now usually specify
version 8 or version 9: but never earlier as
Stata made various changes to the language in Stata 8.
which I never want to un-do. Having got
used to newer rules about braces, comment lines,
and so forth, I would not go back. Besides,
why are programs made available? Mainly on the principle
that "I found this useful, or amusing to write,
and you may do so too". No more, no less.

This principle, naturally, doesn't rule out the
archiving of older versions.

Richard Williams