RE: st: RE: Re: breaking strings

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Re: breaking strings
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:39:38 -0400

Ooops.  That's the problem with not actually testing a proposed solution!

--NW

At 11:47 AM 9/29/2005, you wrote:
Nick,

Thanks for the tip.  I was just about to use Dev's suggestion and was
realizing how lengthy that could have become.  There was one change I made
to your code, and I thought I should note it for the record here:

You wrote:
        replace myvar = subinstr(myvar,",","")
        replace myvar = subinstr(myvar,".","")
But this produced a syntax error.

It should be:
        replace myvar = subinstr(myvar,",","", .)
        replace myvar = subinstr(myvar,".","", .)
Where the "." at the end informs stata to replace ALL ocurrences of either
"," or "." within the string myvar.  See
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?string+functions

Otherwise, it seems to work perfectly.  Thanks again.