Re: st: dynamic short panel

From   Giovanni Bruno <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: dynamic short panel
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:17:58 +0200

sistoand80 <[email protected]>:

> Dear Dr. Bruno,
> I'm Andrea Sisto, a PHD student in Economics at the Univeristy of Turin. As
> I'm working with Prof. Zanola, I thank you also on behalf of Roberto. Our
> problem is that we have to account for heterogeneity in panel. This
> heterogeneity should be captured introducing cross-section dummy variable.
> But standard GMM DP estimators drop individual effect with first-difference.
> For ivreg2, the question was whether a FE2SLS, with a model in level with
> Cross section dummy variables, was a correct way to deal with dynamic  panel
> (our strategy was to simply instrument the dependent variable with some
> exogenous instruments).
> Thank you for your suggestion
> AS

Careful here. Time invariant individual heterogeneity is
typically accommodated either  1) by adding individual dummies,
which boils down to transforming variables in deviations from the
group means; or 2) by first-differencing. So at the end of the day,
*both* methods actually do the same job of purging the regression
from unobserved individual heterogeneity.

First-differencing is held as a more convenient transformation
in dynamic panel data models since under conventional assumptions
on the var-cov matrix of disturbances in levels first-differenced
disturbances are not correlated to past realizations of the
dependent variable, which can be used as instruments.  A reason not
to do that is a non-spherical var-cov matrix of disturbances in
levels, e.g. due to within-group serial correlation. In this case,
lagged values of y may not be used as instruments, but lags (and
leads) of strictly exogenous explanatory variables can always be
exploited to identify the relationship of interest (in levels or
first-differences) and -ivreg2- can certainly take care of all
estimation issues. Nevertheless, such IV estimators might have poor
finite sample performances.

Useful readings are the first part of the Arellano-Honore (2001)
chapter or the Arellano (2003) manual.

Arellano, M. 2003. Panel Data Econometrics. Oxford: Oxford
University Press

Arellano, M. and B. Honor�, 2001. Panel Data Models:
Some Recent Developments. In Handbook of Econometrics vol. 5
ed. J.J. Heckman and E. Leamer. Amsterdam: Elsevier

Giovanni