RE: st: Years to dates

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Years to dates
Date   Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:25:43 +0100

It is important to understand that
Stata is not being difficult here,
as there are two basic requirements
that have to be met.

First, there must be scope for daily dates
to be represented by numeric variables.
(You _could_ use a string variable, but
you couldn't do much with it.)
That requires some convention about origin
(what is date 0), and most software writers seem
agreed that some relatively recent origin
is most practical. That though is bound to
seem arbitrary. I see that today's date is
to Stata 16699, which looks a fun number,
but otherwise doesn't have any meaning for me.

Second, there must be scope for different
formats. So, for example, you use examples
1/1/1998 and 12/31/1998. I guess the first
is fairly clear to most Statalist members
but I have to work hard at 12/31/1998 because
it is more common locally to use dates
like 31 December 1998 and astronomers
and some others would write 1998 December 31,
which is the only really logical convention!
And with dates like 5/6/1998 one has to know
which convention is being used. So, naturally,
Stata provides a wide range of formats for
you to choose, so no grumbling!

Terra Curtis

> Thanks, Sebastian.  I got it to work using your method and
> then formating
> the new variable:
>
> format variable1 %dN/D/Y
> format variable2 %dN/D/Y
>
> so that it would make sense to the human reader.

Seb Buechte