st: Selecting default parameters and bundling variables in stata

From   "Steinar Fossedal" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Selecting default parameters and bundling variables in stata
Date   Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:33:42 +0200

The thing I find most cumbersome when using stata is the rather long
strings I have to type to launch a command. I figure there are two
causes to this. One is that I have a lot of variables that I have to
re-type (or continously cut and paste) for each command, and the second
is that I have to respecify the parameters for whatever command I am
issuing.
Is there a way to bundle variables together in groups so I can simply
type the groupname and all the variables in the group will be included?
And is there a way to set which parameters that are to be default when
running a command?

I'm thinking of something in the line of

set groupvar vset1 x1 x2 x4 x7 x13 x18 x19 x25
set groupvar vset2 x1 x3 x5 x6 x7 x13 x17
set default streg d(weibull) nolog nohr difficult

The commands could then be issued in a much easier manner like this

streg vset1
streg vset2
streg vset1 not x2
streg vset1 and x3