st: RE: recursively defined variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: recursively defined variables
Date   Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:50:13 +0100

This notation I understand to mean

xt    -> x at time t
xt-1  -> x at time t - 1
x1    -> x at time 1

If so, you initialise

gen x = z in 1

and then you replace

replace x = b * x[_n-1] + z in 2/l

where I guess b is a place-holder
for a number you know and note that
"l" stands for "l"ast.

The principle is given by the title
of a useful Stata Tip by Roger Newson:

generate and replace use the current sort order.
Stata Journal 4(4):484--485 (2004)