RE: st: selecting variables by their format

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: selecting variables by their format
Date   Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:56:06 +0100

"No observations" is here non-Stata language
for "all missing", meaning all empty strings.

String missings sort to the beginning.

Thus all values of a string variable in a group of
observations are missing if and only if the
last such value is missing after a -sort-
on that variable.

Thus

bysort location (var1) : gen byte allmiss = _n == _N & mi(var1)
l location if allmiss

TEWODAJ MOGUES