st: RE: rxridge

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: rxridge
Date   Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:08:25 +0100

As mentioned on this list recently, you should
say where programs other than those in official
Stata come from.

The program -rxridge- was written by R.L. Obenchain
and published in STB-28 in 1995. There is also
a more recent version by William Gould on the
StataCorp website, which contains a work-around
for problems arising with the program in Stata 6.
The author does not appear to be active in the Stata
community. There was some question a few years back about updating
this program further, but nothing happened as
far as I can see.

-rxridge- uses a very outdated way of saving datasets
it is working with in named files in the current
directory.

In your case, you may be using Stata in a directory
in which you have no write access. That is a very
wild guess.

Sriram Narayanan