st: Stratified Sampling

From   Chao Yawo <[email protected]>
To   SAS-L <[email protected]>, SPSS <[email protected]>, StataList <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stratified Sampling
Date   Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:00:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am teaching a sophomore social statistics course.
I've been covering sampling, especially stratified
sampling this week.

The students need some assistance in explaining the
weighting procedures associated with disproportionate
stratified sampling.  How can I demonstrate this in a
class with a concrete example.

Also, is there any guidelines as to how to oversample
a particular stratum?  Assuming i have 2 groups (males
are 20% and Females=80%). If I am drawing a sample of
100 students - it means I would end up with 20 males
and 80 females.  If i need to oversample the males,
what values should i chose - 30, 40, 50? - is the
choice really arbitrary or is guided by theory or
calculations?

I will appreciate your thoughts on this.

Regards, YC