st: RE: Problems with -ipolate-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Problems with -ipolate-
Date   Mon, 5 Sep 2005 22:17:23 +0100

-ipolate- interpolates linearly within gaps. That
is, it is assumed that the y variable varies linearly with
the x variable within any gaps. This is best seen
geometrically, as the last (x,y) pair before any gap
and the first (x,y) pair after any gap are just joined
by a straight line and intermediate results read
off directly.

In addition, a consequence of the assumption that
y is piecewise linear in x is
that repeated y's at any x are just averaged.

Plotting your results will make it easier to
see what is going on.

The help file is somewhat elliptical here.

Jann Ben