Re: st: non parametric tests

Subject   Re: st: non parametric tests
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:36:45 -0500

At 06:11 PM 8/10/2005 +0100, Ron�n Conroy wrote:
The old SPSS manual (Nie, Hull et al) maintaned that Kendall's tau-b was superior to Spearman's rho when there were many ties or a small number of individual values in one of the variables. I am not sure of the evidence for this - does anyone know?
I still have that book! (1975 edition) It is actually better than a lot of their later documentation in that it tries to explain the statistics a bit, shows more formulas and explains what SPSS is doing, as opposed to just showing you syntax.

The argument you refer to is made on p. 289 without citation. Further, they use such definitive language as "seems to be...somewhat more meaningful..." Perhaps they just based the claim based on their own personal observations?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]