RE: st: Pairplot markersymbol question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Pairplot markersymbol question
Date   Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:16:45 +0100

-pairplot- is a user-written package on SSC.

Thanks to David for his comments and to Scott
for his suggestions.

I am using -pairplot- 1.0.8, which is also
the version on SSC. This was written for Stata 8.

Scott is correct that -blp()- is needed for
one problem.

For the other problem, an alternative solution
is

pairplot  crude adjusted,  sort( hospital) sortlabel(hosp)
horizontal ///
blpattern(dash) ///
ms(o) y2(ms(T)) mc(orange navy)

making use of the undocumented -y2options()- option.

At this moment, I can't re-create the reason for this
being undocumented, but I'd guess at some combination of
indolence and embarrassment.

> 1.  For the line pattern, change the option to  -blpattern(dash)-
>
> 2.  For the marker symbol, if you alter lines 66 and 67 of Nick’s
> program (and hopefully this isn’t sacrilege) from
>
>   local msymbol "Oh Th"
>   local sy2 "ms(Th)"
>
> to:
>
>   if "`msymbol'" != "" {
>     tokenize `msymbol'
>     local msymbol "`1'"
>     if "`2'" != "" {
>       local sy2 "ms(`2')"
>     }
>     else {
>       local sy2 "ms(th)"
>     }
>   }
>   else  {
>     local msymbol "o"
>     local sy2 "ms(th)"
>   }
>

> the marker symbols will be controlled.
>
> Of course, you should save this as -pairplot2- (and change
> line 11 to:
> program pairplot2, sortpreserve ) incase of any future improvements
> to –pairplot-

David LB Schwappach