Re: st: Re: mata code

Subject   Re: st: Re: mata code
Date   Thu, 07 Jul 2005 09:21:50 -0500

At 09:34 AM 7/7/2005 -0400, Kit Baum wrote:
We might hope that the Stata Journal's regular "from the help desk" feature will include some examples of how mata can be used to solve econometric programming problems. That feature often is accompanied by ado-file code, and one would hope that such articles -- which do not discuss official Stata features -- might also present the mata source code for the edification of user/programmers. It is a great advantage of Stata that much of the code is exposed, and the best practices embodied therein can be studied by user/programmers. It would be indeed unfortunate if a larger and larger fraction of Stata's commands are made inscrutable by means of mata (while giving efficiency and speed, removing the models by which many of us have written add-ons to do what official Stata does not).
I agree very much with the sentiments expressed by Kit and Rob. While I've hardly been a prolific contributor to SSC, what little I have written was plagiarized heavily (with attribution) from Stata ado files. There may be some proprietary things Stata wants to protect (e.g. incredibly brilliant and efficient algorithms) but I hope that many Mata examples can somehow be made available.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]