st: Re: statistics courses via the web

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: statistics courses via the web
Date   Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:37:06 EDT

I would like to make you  aware of web-based courses that are being offered
by
www.statistics.com.  Courses being offered from July through November 2005
are listed below. For a  relatively small cost, courses are conducted entirely
over the web.  Discussion areas are provided for instructor-participant
question  and
answers. Course texts are many times those written by the instructors,  but
others
are used as well. In addition, courses provide numerous  "handouts" for
download and
references to other web sites having related  instructional material.

Most courses are adaptable for users of major  statistical packages. Stata is
a common
package; it is used for all courses  with which I am involved.

A number of courses have been taught during  the first half of 2005 that will
not be repeated until 2006; e.g. the  Generalised Linear Models course taught
by James Hardin and myself.

I  have been involved with teaching with statistics.com for the last 2 years.
It's  truly amazing how the course and participant base has grown. Given the
like  one-on-one relationship between instructor and participant as a result
of the  Discussion Area, participants get answers to their questions on a near
daily  basis. Sometimes the feedback is immediate, at other times there may be
a delay  of a day or so depending on holidays and weekends.

I typically call  course registrants "participants" rather than "students"
since most folks taking  these courses are professors and researchers from
around the world, not kids  just starting to learn statistics. Certificates of
competition are given at the  conclusion of the course, but there are no grades
that end up recorded on a  transcript. Some courses -- like mine - have weekly
quizzes that are designed to  help participants (who wish to do them) focus on
important issues. Full answers  are provided afterwards.

There are new courses scheduled to be offered  in 2006, including exact
statistics, multilevel and mixed models, and so forth.  But you may find courses
that may interest you during the next six months.

Course and school information can be obtained by going to the
www.statistics.com web site.
If you would like additional insight into how  the courses work, feel free to
contact me privately. I'm not associated with the  school other than as an
instructor, but I've been at it for a couple of years  now and am willing to
share my thoughts with interested members of the Stata  family.

Joe Hilbe

2005 COURSES JULY-NOVEMBER
Start date  indicated

JULY
8  Introduction to Resampling  Methods   (Phillip Good)
Introduction to  Statistics: Design and Analysis (Robert Hayden)
15  Sample Size  and Power Determination  (Phillip Good)
22  Introduction to  R  (Phillip Good)

August
5  Modeling Longitudinal  and Panel Data (Joseph Hilbe & James Hardin)
19  Survey Design  and Sampling Procedures (Anthony Babinec)

September
9   Introduction to Datamining (Anthony Babinec)
Introduction to Biostatistics  (Clifford Blair)
Bias in Epidemiologic Research (Dave Kleinbaum)
16  Survey  Analysis (Anthony Babinec)
23  Sample Size and Power Determination  (Phillip Good)
30  Survival Analysis  (Joseph  Hilbe)

October
7  Data Mining: Unsupervised  Techniques  (Anthony Babinec)
Rule  Induction  (Anthony Babinec)
14  Analysis of Epidemiologic  Data (Dave Kleinbaum)
21  Modeling Count Data  (Joseph  Hilbe)
Clinical Trial Design  (Vance  Berger)
28  Basic Concepts in Probability and Statistics   (Robert Hayden)

November
4  Cluster Analysis    (Anthony Babinec)
Data Mining - Security  Applications  (Dave Marchette)
11  The Statistics of  Environmental Impact Assessment   (Bryan  Manly)
Logistic Regression  (Joseph  Hilbe)
18  Meta Analysis   (Michael  Borenstein)
25  Introduction to Statistics: Design and Analysis  (Robert Hayden)

Instructor bios:   http://www.statistics.com/content/courses/faculty.html

Note:   Statistics.com courses run 3-5 weeks, and are organized so that you
can  participate on your own schedule.  There are no specific hours when you
must be online.  Participants interact with the instructor via a  private
discussion board.