st: Re: Re: split, combine and verify datafile(s)

Subject   st: Re: Re: split, combine and verify datafile(s)
Date   Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:25:17 -0400

You failed to properly reference the tempfile in your merge statement. You should read up on using tempfiles. The name of the tempfile must be enclosed in single quotes.

don't code this:
merge patid using "`file'_temp"

instead code this:
merge patid using "``file'_temp'"

tempfile assigns a local macro (that you name) the name of a tempfile (that Stata selects and you usually never see). When you want to refer to the actual tempfile filename you need to remember to use the single quotes so Stata evaluates the local macro to give you the actual filename.

I think you added to the confusion by having using a macro as part of the tempfile name. You don't really need to name your tempfile `file'_temp, you could just name it temp and Stata should take care of the rest.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Katsuhide Isa" <[email protected]>