Re: st: diagt and accuracy

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: diagt and accuracy
Date   Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:06:35 +0100

At 17:23 10/06/2005, Ronan Conroy wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Originally I wanted to have ROC area (as calculated in -diagt-), but I was
told that with a dichotomous test ROC area wasn't relevant, ie, I didn't
have different cutpoints at which to operate the test. That's when she
mentioned accuracy defined with prevalence.

In fact, ROC area doesn't account for prevalence either...
The ROC area is still useful, because it is the Mann Whitney statistic - the probability that if a person with and a person without the condition are taken at random, the person with the condition will have the higher score. In clinical trials, it becomes the probability that a person on the superior treatment will have a superior response. Both are very useful clinical information.
For more about the ROC area, confidence intervals for the difference between 2 ROC areas for the same disease in the same population, and the connection with the Mann-Whitney ranksum test, see Newson (2002). This can be downloaded from my website (see my signature below), either using a browser or from within Stata by typing

findit params

and clicking on the hypertext for the paper.

I hope this helps.

Roger