Re: st: RE: rugs, marker labels and legends....

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: rugs, marker labels and legends....
Date   Tue, 24 May 2005 20:00:55 +0000

Thanks for the response Nick.

On 5/24/05, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> The paper with pagination pp.99-88 was intended to be read
> backwards, as the nuances are clearer in that way.

Oops, I must have been reading the pages upside down when writing the
email and not paid enough attention.

> The rug fudge in this paper did what I wanted. I didn't
> consider the problem of a legend as I never want to explain
> a rug in a legend, but at most in a text caption (nothing
> to do with Stata's -caption()-).
>
> However, Neil has a very good reason for wanting a legend here.
>
> My approach now with Stata 9 would be to start with -twoway spike-:
>
> . sysuse auto
>
> . gen y1 = 0
>
> . gen y2 = -1
>
> . twoway histogram mpg, freq || pcspike y1 mpg y2 mpg
>
> . twoway histogram mpg, freq ||
>         pcspike y1 mpg y2 mpg if foreign, lcolor(red) ||
>         pcspike y1 mpg y2 mpg if !foreign, lcolor(blue)
>
> which gives you a legend, although the spikes are horizontal
> in the legend.
>
> A clearer alternative might be a -onewayplot- (SSC).
>
> This is not that much use to Neil, except insofar as it may add to the
> incentive to upgrade from Stata 8.2.
>
> His second problem would seem to need some -*size()- option to adjust
> the marker label size.

Until the department upgrade (which shouldn't be too long hopefully),
I shall play around with combining -onewayplot-'s and -histograms-.
At the moment the graphs aren't for publication so its really no big
deal.

Thanks again for the response,

Neil