st: RE: RE: Comment indicator * produces error in Mata

From   "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Comment indicator * produces error in Mata
Date   Tue, 24 May 2005 15:40:11 +0200

Scott Merryman wrote:
> Within Mata * is monadic operator.  See, [M-2] Pointers

... and also a dyadic operator, depending on the context. See
[M-2] op_arith.

However, my argument is that, whatever meaning * has in Mata, it is
unplesant that in one part of an ado file the * comment indicator
works as expected, but produces an error in another part (in
particular, because other comment indicators do not have this
problem). It is clear to me that given the definition of Mata's
syntax (see [M-2] Syntax) it would not be possible to distinguish
whether * at the beginning of a line is a pointer prefix or a comment
indicator and that therefore only one of the two can exist (pointer
prefix, in this case). Nontheless, it would be nice if documentation
would point out that the * comment indicator does not work with Mata.
Maybe it is obvious to C programmers, but sure not to others.

ben