Re: st: generate a string variable holding a double quote?

From   Seb Buechte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: generate a string variable holding a double quote?
Date   Thu, 19 May 2005 17:59:11 +0200

Yes it is:

gen quote=`"""'

should work.

unfortunately I do not know the english words for the leading and the
ending character in that sequence meaning `  and ' . Using these
solves the issue.

sebastian

On 5/19/05, Sherman, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Statalist,
>
> Is it possible to create a string variable containing only the character
> " ?  Stata 8 won't let me do so with the command
>
> gen quote = """
>
> or in the data editor.
>
> This would be convenient for, e.g, labeling variables with the values of
> another variable.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard Sherman
> Department of Political Science, Leiden University
> Leiden, Netherlands
> http://homepage.mac.com/richard.sherman/

> the system manager.

- Seb F Buechte