st: Graphs: Opaque versus Transparent Markers

From   "Orion Whitaker" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Graphs: Opaque versus Transparent Markers
Date   Sun, 15 May 2005 12:36:59 -0400

The last points plotted on graphs obscure the previous points.  I've tried using smaller markers, adding jitter, and using open circle markers but it seems that having markers have some transparency would be better.

I did try breaking up the dataset and plotting some subsets before others so that one group didn't dominate but this didn't help either.  (I tried using modulo(subject_id_number) with mod(id,2) but plotting "odds" and "evens" didn't help either.)

Is there a simple way to do this?

("A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics" is helpful but doesn't explore this problem.)

(If I was an artist/draftsman I could import each part of the graph into Adobe Illustrator as a different layer and so some layer transparency or something * I don't have the skills.)

Thanks,

Orion "Perplexed by Stata" Whitaker

--
Orion C. Whitaker