RE: st: data loop question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: data loop question
Date   Wed, 11 May 2005 20:52:53 +0100

Eric Wruck's warnings about ties and missings
are very important.

If you use a string variable to keep track of which
variable or variables hold the maximum, you can also
note ties.

egen max = max(x1-x10)

gen which = ""

forval v = 1/10 {
	replace which = which + " `v'" if x`v' == max
}

replace which = ltrim(which)
tab which

Also check out -rowranks- from SSC.

Eric G. Wruck

> Ok, here's a way of doing it: I made up a little example &
> wrote some code.  This looks like it'll work:
>
> . l
>
>      +--------------+
>      | x1   x2   x3 |
>      |--------------|
>   1. |  1    2    3 |
>   2. |  7    5    4 |
>   3. | 10   34   18 |
>   4. | 16   12   16 |
>      +--------------+
>
> . gen maxX = 0
>
> .
> . egen max = rowmax(x*)
>
> .
> . forvalues i = 1(1)3 {
>   2.   replace maxX = `i' if x`i' == max
>   3.   }
> (2 real changes made)
> (1 real change made)
> (2 real changes made)
>
> .
> . l
>
>      +---------------------------+
>      | x1   x2   x3   maxX   max |
>      |---------------------------|
>   1. |  1    2    3      3     3 |
>   2. |  7    5    4      1     7 |
>   3. | 10   34   18      2    34 |
>   4. | 16   12   16      3    16 |
>      +---------------------------+
>
> .
> .
> However, you need to watch out for at least two things: (1)
> ties & (2) missing values.  The code I wrote takes the last
> maximum tie as the variable of interest -- that is, in
> observation 4, x3 is determined to hold the max even though
> x1 holds the same value.  Missing values are effectively
> treated as positive infinity, so you may have to control for
> that separately -- this depends in part on what egen does
> with missing values.

Shawn